Tuesday, April 12, 2011

East Playoff Picks

I'm not going to venture guesses as to the West, but here's the East. Book it.

First, a look at adjusted standings. These standings are re-done to simply call it a tie and award one point after the end of regulation, the logic being that aptitude to win 4v4 OTs or SOs is of no value in the playoffs. Here's the results;
Bruins - 100 points
Flyers - 100 points
Caps - 93 points
Penguins - 91 points
Lightning - 89 points
Habs - 88 points
Rangers - 81 points
Sabres - 81 points

Big hits for the Caps, Pens and Sabres, who are masters of the bonus points.

Caps v NY - The Caps are tough to nail down this year--down year for them and Ovechkin, or adjusting their style? I think in the end the Caps will prove too much for Rangers, and Ovechkin will turn it up. I also like what I see from Neuvirth. Caps in 6.

Flyers v Sabres - Tomorrow. ;)

Bruins v Habs - I see the Bruins sticking it to Habs physically. Tim Thomas has been unreal this year, and the Bruins attack style is unspectacular but consistent. Bruins in 5.

Pens v Lightning - The Lightning are a bit of wild card in my opinion, but I think in the end they have enough to overcome the Penguins. Without Malkin and Crosby, the Pens offense is very weak, and they went into the playoffs winning a bunch of low scoring games, often in extra time. I don't think that's a formula for success when the stakes are raised.

No comments:

Post a Comment