Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Couturier Back on Track

Forgive me, but I started a new job 6 weeks ago, so this blog has been down on my priority list.   Given this big group of time between posts, I will not even bother to touch on all the things that have happened with the Flyers since.

The one thing I will talk about here is Sean Couturier's improved play, and that the Cooter-Read-Downie line has been the Flyers only good line the last few weeks.

Go back to November 19, the Flyers were still in their winning streak, and Cooter got what was simply a lucky goal.  Afterwards, Berube made the requisite comment about how that goal should increase his confidence and maybe start him on a roll.  *eyeroll*

The thing is, it has done exactly that.  As the Flyers saw their winning streak end, and resumed their awful offensive form that we saw in October, the even strength offense completely vanished.  Look at the numbers from the go-to offensive guys:
-Giroux, 3 ES points, +3
-Voracek, 1 ES point, -1
-Lecavalier, 2 ES points, -1
-Hartnell, 3 ES points, +1
-Schenn, 2 ES points, -1

Now look at the Cooter line since November 19:
Couturier, 8 ES points, +10
Downie, 6 ES points, +7
Read, 7 ES points, +8

During the Flyers current cold streak, the Cooter line really has indeed been the only line performing most nights.  Having only one line playing well is bad news by itself, but it is really positive for the big picture to see this line playing so well.

For one, Couturier showing some offensive ability is massive.  I have been pretty disappointed with his development since his rookie year, and I was beginning to resign myself to adjusting my career expectations for him downwards from my previously lofty expectations.

Two, Downie has become a very productive player for this team.  Coincidentally, my last post was about how I liked the Downie trade, and while his niche has not been on the Giroux line, the trade looks very good today.  (I'm not sure why so many Flyers fans had a reflexive negative reaction about trading away a 4th liner, anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment