Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Odds and Ends

Now the the Flyers have finally had a few days off, there a few odds and ends to discuss.

Rinaldo Suspension
Zac Rinaldo was suspended for two games for his hit on Ericsson, which upon initial look I didn't even think was a penalty.


Upon further review, I think the video lays out a clear case.  What Rinaldo did WAS a charge, under the rule as it has stood as long as memory serves.  Admittedly, in the past, players have gotten away with far worse, but the undercurrent here is that league brass can't like the idea of a young 4th liner who plays a few minutes a night running guys just days after being fined for previous disciplinary issues.  This is precisely the kind of behavior, that in days of yore would've been settled on the ice.  Now that justice isn't doled out like that, other remedies are necessary.

Nash Trade
Given the current joke status of the Blue Jackets franchise, the Rick Nash trade talks have opened up.  Everybody wants a player like that, but how much do you give up for a guy who's only broke the 70 point mark once in his career?  He's signed forever at $7.8m cap hit.  I wouldn't think the Flyers would have any interest, but alas their name keeps coming up.  I feel like it's the Stamkos story all over.  Like with Stamkos, I am deeply skeptical of the wisdom of trading for Nash here.  I also haven't read anything at all about what the Flyers may be offering, but I could see JVR or Bobrovsky as players that the Flyers would be willing to trade that would interest a re-building Columbus team.

Nabokov Performing Well
I have to be honest, I felt like I was taking crazy pills this offseason when I would think of the Flyers acquiring Nabokov.  I saw a proven NHL allstar with a negligible cap hit--how could you not be interested?  Yet there was never any buzz about the Flyers going after him.  Well now Nabokov is looking pretty good with a 2.24 GAA and a 925 save percentage.  How many Flyers fans would like to go back in time and trade for one year of Nabokov rather than have to deal with Bryz's 9 year contract?

No comments:

Post a Comment