Friday, February 17, 2012

Flyers Trade for Grossman

It figures that, after I lay out 14 trade candidates, the Flyers trade for a defensemen I don't have listed.  It's not the first time I've heard the Flyers connected to Grossman, but I'm not personally familiar with him and I missed his name on the list of pending UFA defensemen.  More or less, the trade was predictable in the Flyers sending away picks for a defensive defensemen (specifically, a 2nd round pick this year and 3rd round pick next year).  Holmgren just can't help himself but trade away picks at the deadline.

As I said, I'm not personally familiar with Grossman, but through the magic of the internet and the written word, I can tell you;
-He is 27 years old, 6'4".
-He will be UFA this offseason, coming off a $1.65x2 contract.  He will be looking for a raise on that.
-He plays 19 minutes a night and on the PK for Dallas, usually paired with an offensive defensemen.  Grossman is the stay-at-home guy on the pair.
-Reliable defensively, but not overly physical.
-Not going to do much with the puck on his stick.
-Scanning youtube, you don't see Grossman making high impact open ice hits, but he's definitely strong grinding guys out into the boards

The expectation is that the Flyers will pair him with Carle, and continue his role as the stay-at-home guy paired with a skating defensemen.  Best case scenario is that Grossman steps right in and Flyers fans may not really notice him.  This is not a bad thing for a defensemen, and he may kick Bourdon to the scratch list.

Early in the day yesterday, the Lightning announced that they asked Kubina for a list of teams to which he would accept a trade and held him out of practice, so it made me wonder about possibilities with the Flyers.  I think Kubina would've brought more the table for the Flyers than Grossman (mainly on the PP), but Kubina is older and would've been more costly in trade price.

As it is, given the Flyers deeply flawed team this year, I am not in favor of giving up significant assets for rentals.  Acquiring Grossman for a 2nd and 3rd round pick isn't giving up too much, but it's not completely insignificant either.  It would make me feel better if the Flyers resign him this offseason so he's more than a 2 month rental.

No comments:

Post a Comment